I know, I know. There is nothing more important than our relationship with the Lord. And one of the best ways to strengthen that relationship is to spend time with Him. Even when we struggle to find time for a decent shower.
Moms like us need time with God to fuel up for the crazy, hair-raising days of motherhood. But who has time with dishes, diapers, and dance classes on the schedule?
It’s time to change our expectations.
This season of life may not be the time for one full hour per day, every day, of in depth Bible study along and prayer. It is, however, the season when you need to give yourself a break. Don’t compare yourself with other moms and the time they commit to spending with God. Don’t compare yourself to your former self, and the way you used to spend time with God. Just do what you can as often as you can.
1. It's okay to multi-task.It might seem impossible to set aside time with no distractions whatsoever, clear-minded, completely alone with God. But you might be able to pair God time with another task you already need to do:
- Try listening to sermons while going for a stroller walk
- Watch online Bible teaching while washing dishes, folding clothes, or picking up the living room
- Listen to worship music while dusting and vacuuming
- Listen to worship music or sermons while in the shower!
2. Cancel one appointment to make an appointment with God.
I cancelled my appointment with my pillow for an appointment with God.
Maybe waking up early isn’t for you. Maybe you’re better at staying up late. Or maybe you can cancel that daily appointment with the television or Facebook for an appointment with God.
A small commitment is something that requires only minimal time and effort, and if we stick to it, then we might just be able to find some quiet time with our Lord.
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:8